8 ways the University of Chichester is saving the world
The University of Chichester has been ranked in the the UK's top 5 most environmentally-friendly universities after reducing our carbon emissions by more than 1,200 tonnes in the last decade.
The University has;
• Saved 1,224 metric tonnes of CO2 since 2007 (that's the equivalent of burning nearly 1.5 million pounds (lbs) or 680,000kg of coal!)
• Cut notional energy emissions by 52%
• Reduced our carbon footprint by a third (despite increasing building floor space by 50% in 10 years)
- JUMP awards scheme
Since October 2014, we have been running a fun sustainability and well-being scheme which enables all staff and students to earn points for 'good behaviour'. The scheme has been developed in partnership with a company called Green Rewards and you can earn points by positive actions such as exercising, energy saving and recycling!
- The Green Campus Group
Since 2007, the Green Campus Group is open to all students and staff to join who are interested in environment and sustainable development. The group meets 4 times a year and is involved in running green events/projects!
- Fairtrade status for 10 years
We have achieved this through the food and drinks served in the Otters Restaurant and items including SU Clothing in The Shop.
- Reusable cup discount
When buying hot drinks, you can save 20p by bringing in a reusable cup at our on campus Costa, Starbucks and Otters Restaurant.
- Recyclable food boxes
The Otters Restaurant serves takeaway meals in recyclable food boxes.
- Free intercampus shuttle bus
With a student card, you can use our U7 and U8 bus services to travel between campuses and off-campus accommodation to reduce car use.
- Cycle to work scheme
We encourage staff and students to cycle to work to decrease car use and increase exercise! There are cycle lanes across Chichester and Bognor, cycle paths on campus and secure on campus bike storages. We even have a Bike Clinic!
- University vans are electric
We have electric chargers on campus specifically for our University vans!
- Read Next
- CORONAVIRUS UPDATE Why you should do a semester abroad! Studying abroad in the Netherlands Apply for Student Finance Fishbourne Halls Tour International Women's Day 2020 5 ways to better your mental health Let's talk mental health Top things to do in Bognor Regis! The sports teams are my favourite part of uni!
- Apply for Student Finance What to and NOT to bring for Accommodation! 8 reasons why you should join a society! Liam’s Top Tips on being a bigger, unfit person at a sporty university Why you should do a semester abroad! Studying abroad in the Netherlands My Football Coaching interview experience Why you should consider doing a Degree Apprenticeship! Why come to a University of Chichester Open Day? Top things to do in Chichester