Support & Advice
How to get the most out of university
University can be really daunting, leaving behind all of your friends and family to move to a new city... it's tough. But hear are a few ways you can maximise your time at Uni.
- Get Out! - It's really tempting and easy to isolate yourself during the start of your time at university (I spent freshers week locked in my room crying over my ex). In hindsight, that was not the best. Push yourself to say yes, go get food with your flatmates, go to that film screening (even if it is some awful musical film), go to that society meeting. These activities all help to meet new people, and thus, make new friends. You can't experience uni from behind a locked door. Trust me I tried! Get out there and explore. :)
- Attend your lectures... as a minimum - Despite what society might say, you are here to obtain a degree. This task is aided by actually going to the lectures, but you can do so much more. Do the pre-reading, make notes, ask questions, attend the office hours. The more you put into your subject, the more fun it will be, and the less time you can spend wondering what on earth is going on!
- Join a sports team... or at least try - Now I joined the Athletics team... for a week and hated it (circuit training is dire). But at least I tried so I get some credit! It really is worth at least trying something, if you don't like it, fine, you can stop. However you might find you love it and make a new load of friends. Seems like a good deal to me! The University has a whole host of teams to join, so take your pick and get adventurous.
- All in all - At the end of the day, have fun! Push yourself but stay comfortable, university is a 3 (or longer) year experience. I messed up my first 3 months and am now having a fantastic time. So have faith and enjoy it, it will take time. But the best things always do :)
- Read Next
- "I chose to teach in secondary as I felt I could make an impact" Studying Abroad as a Creative Digital Technologies Student The Quiet Side of Uni Life: An Extroverted Introvert's Guide It's okay to not be okay My one piece of advice... GET INVOLVED! Liam’s Top Tips on being a bigger, unfit person at a sporty university Enjoy the best 3 years of your life, it goes by in a flash! Thinking about commuting? Bethan has some tips for you! Settling into university life as an international student Pride and LGBTQ+ support! 8 reasons why you should join a society! Joining a team or society will make your University experience! Travelling whilst writing my dissertation... How it all began! Exchange placement in Canada
- Our different types of accommodation What to and NOT to bring for Accommodation! How the University of Chichester supported Chi City FC through to round 2 of the FA Cup International Men's Day 2019 All the official accommodation documents you need!