Sometimes the simplest of analogies can explain even the most complex of issues...
The apparent blurred lines of when sexual consent begins and ends seems much clearer after watching this video, and we’ve broken it down for you here!
- As soon as somebody says no, stop. This is where the consent ends and trying to push for a yes after this point isn't acceptable.
- Just because you want it, does not mean you are entitled to it. This dance is a two-way thing.
- No matter how close to “doing the deed” you might be, as soon as somebody says no, it means no. Getting angry at them for not wanting it isn't the answer. This might cause them to feel pressured, and forced consent like this, is not consent at all.
- Unconscious people can not give consent! No matter how much you might think they want it. This applies for anybody extremely intoxicated too.
- If you slept with somebody last week, or even an hour ago, this does not give you a free pass for the rest of time. Always ask, and always respect their decision.
It’s about respect and respecting that somebody has the right to say no. We hope that’s cleared up any blurred lines!
Think you've might've been a victim of sexual violence - or just want to know more about it?
This week is Sexual Violence Awareness Week! So, for all the important discussion, activities and advice search or tweet #ItsNotOk
Anyone who’s been affected needs to know they are not alone and what they can do about it.
What you do or don't do is entirely up to you and you should definitely not feel pressured into anything - your body, your life!