Support & Advice
TOP TIPS: For singers to combating performance anxiety
BY: Georgia Pressley
- Arrive early to the venue you singing at - It is always best to arrive early to the venue/place you are going to be performing at; you can get your bearings therefore feeling a little bit more comfortable with your surroundings
- Bring water - Always bring water to any gig you are doing as it allows you to stop your throat getting too dry as you are singing, it makes the performance a lot easier especially if you are doing multiple songs
- Do a few warm ups - Make sure that you warm up an hour or even half an hour before the performance so that your voice is ready
- Bring an extra copy of your score - Extra copies will relieve you of the stress of searching for that score, it will allow you to also have a way of reassuring yourself of the song that you are doing
- If you can find a room to stretch before performing - Doing some stretching exercises will allow your muscles to stretch and prepare your body for the performance that you are about to do
- Avoid back stage chatter - It drains energy and can scatter your mind before the performance may also increase your nerves. Of course greet the other performers but try to avoid unneeded chatter.
- Listen to some soothing music - If you have your iPod or another device with your favourite music on it take a few minutes to sit down and listen to it.
- Make sure that your backing track is working/possibly do a microphone check - Allow time before the performance to do a mic check then you can be assured that the backing track is working and have a chance to practice your song on stage.
- Take a few deep breaths - Allow yourself a few minutes to take deep breaths and let the nerves out.
- Remember why you love to sing or why you are doing the performance - Take a few moments to remember why you love to sing, all the reasons it is important to you and most importantly why you are doing this performance.
All these tips may help you to combat performance anxiety and I wish you all the best with your future performances!
- Read Next
- 5 Remedies for a Sore Throat Thinking about commuting? Bethan has some tips for you! Pride and LGBTQ+ support! HOW TO: Book a Student Support counselling session Eating on a budget as an International Student! Dance Freshers' Survival Guide! Settling into university life as an international student Joining a team or society will make your University experience! It's okay to not be okay My one piece of advice... GET INVOLVED! 8 reasons why you should join a society! Liam’s Top Tips on being a bigger, unfit person at a sporty university Why I decided to be a football coach
- What to and NOT to bring for Accommodation! Why is everyone calling Chichester 'Chi'? Arrivals Weekend! All the official accommodation documents you need! How To: Find your academic timetable!