Why are students asking for my vote for the SU Elections?
You may have noticed a swarm of posters up in the main areas of each campus and students speaking to you about asking for your vote... but WHY?
The Students' Union run an election every year to fill their full-time and part-time roles - your SU is run by students, for students.
Students have the opportunity to for these roles to make a change, run the Students' Union and support the student body. Some incredible things have happened over the years purely because the Students Union have pushed for it:
- 24 hour library
- Mental Health awareness week
- Reduced prices for accommodation
- Online submission/online feedback
- Puppies on campus for stress less week
- i <3 BRC week
and the list goes on!
These ideas aren't just plucked out of thin air, they're well thought out ideas that past Students' Union officers started to plan before they were in post - these ideas are included in candidates manifesto's.
Each candidate is asked to write a manifesto of what they'd like to cover if they were to work for the Students' Union - this is a great indication for students to see the different visions of the SU and to see if you feel their manifesto will benefit your student experience.
It is extremely important to have a look at what they're running for and that you vote - otherwise you're leaving it up to everyone else to make your decision for you! You can't complain about what the Students' Union are/aren't doing if you didn't vote in the first place!
It is also very important to vote for second and third choices too! If you had the opportunity to vote for different types of cake and you could pick up to three choices... you wouldn't just pick one!
The voting is OPEN!
- Read Next
- What is the SU? UCSU: Zero Tolerance to Sexual Harrassment Saturday's... Sorted 5 reasons why you should join a club or society Dom Haward - SU Vice President
- Not Everybody Wants Tea: Consent is everything Liam’s Top Tips on being a bigger, unfit person at a sporty university Travelling whilst writing my dissertation... How it all began! Settling into university life as an international student Why I decided to be a football coach